Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Forgiveness, part 101

Sometimes, I am not sure whether or how to forgive. I feel confused.
I ask myself:

a. Jesus (What would Jesus do?) It's been suggested that we ask this when confused about how to proceed. Jesus was not always Mr. Kindness and forgiveness. He kicked over the tables of the moneychangers. He cursed a tree that wouldn't flower for him. So how do we know when to forgive and when to start kicking? (I had Sissy acting like Jesus in my kids' book, Frog Haven!)

b. Buddha (What would Buddha do?) Imperturbability? I can only FAKE IT! I can "Act as if." I can pretend. But inside is a maelstrom. It rears its ugly head when my guard is down. How can I calm the maelstrom inside? (Prayer helps).

2 comments:

bluerose said...

Wow! It's been a while since I've posted anything here. This discussion reminds me of how I was struggling with my anger at my family over my mother's care. Now that she's gone, I don't feel so angry anymore.

I think in my case, Jesus would forgive, but until now I could only fake it. Would "fake it 'till you make it" apply here?

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I think so. But sometimes, when I am only faking it, the false front falls away and raging monster roars out its raw anger--I need to know how to hold up the fakery facade until it becomes REAL--until it wears grooves nto my behavior that I can clearly follow. I hope.