Thursday, October 30, 2008

Humility



I ran into an old friend the other day. One I hadn't seen in years. It was so good to see her, because she knew me when my husband was still alive, and had fond memories of me as a spiritually minded person. I've never thought of myself in that way, so it was very encouraging. Then she said something interesting to me. She said that when my husband died, I had a nervous breakdown. She said, "I know you, you weren't the same, and you were too proud to ask for help."

This spoke volumes to me, although I should not have been surprised. Right after his death I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, and as this blog will testify, my inability to ask for help is nothing new to me. Still, I never thought of myself as proud or having a nervous breakdown, just insecure and emotionally unstable in general.

I started thinking about pride. Right now, I'm really struggling with trusting in God to help me out of this mess I've gotten myself into. I've always just found my own way out, which is what has gotten me to where I am now. I think I've talked about my trust issues, due to abuse, before in this blog. The ones closest to me usually let me down, so I would just take on everything alone. It took a couple of years to learn how to trust my husband. So when my friend said, "and you were too proud to ask for help", my immediate reply was, "I didn't know how."

This is also about control, and the need to have control stems from pride. Right now, I feel like everything is out of control. This is insecurity. Proud people are insecure. We rely on our pride for security. Really though, nobody ever truly has control. We're deluding ourselves if we think we do. This is what Adam and Eve did. They wanted control. They didn't want God telling them what to do. If I keep trying to take control of my life, then I'm going against God's will for me. I have to learn how to give up control and to trust Him. You have to be humble to learn how to trust.

God gave me my husband to teach me. I trusted him, and didn't worry about giving him control of things, because I knew that even if he screwed up, he'd make things right, because he loved me. So does God, and he won't die or screw things up. Humble people know love - real love. Humble people have the strength to overcome their insecurities. I used to admire my husband's strength, and wish I could be more like him. He was not an insecure man. If I could learn to trust him, although being imperfect, then surely I can learn to "turn my will and my life over to the care of God as I understand Him."

6 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

An honest, poignant and important post.

The inability to ask for help is a common problem--I have it myself. AK!

And the inability to trust is also common.

You're doing good work here. Put your troubles in God's big hands and be careful not to snatch them back.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I'm sorry you lost your husband.

I'm not exactly sure what a nervous breakdown is.

bluerose said...

"Be careful not to snatch them back" is a very good point, and what I'm really struggling with right now. It's so hard when my future is so uncertain. I want to try and take control, but I know what I have to do.

Nervous breakdown... um, well the dictionary sais this:
n. A severe or incapacitating emotional disorder, especially when occurring suddenly and marked by depression. Not in scientific use.

I always associated it as being a mental breakdown that was out of my control, or due to external events, rather than being because of an emotional weakness. Which, I guess, is what Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome is, but that term sounded so clinical, and "nervous breakdown" seems to make it more personal.

I don't know why, but when she said it, it made me realize how seriously incapacitated I was, even thought at the time, I didn't realize it. I needed to ask for help and didn't know it or how to.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I hope you can ask now--and do!

I have "post traumatic stress syndrome." Maybe I have a nervous breakdown. Dunno.

I don't want either of them, is there a hole I can ditch them in?

Aiee. This business of being human is too hard for me sometimes.

But what are we to do? Put one foot in front of the next, and keep hoeing the hard row. One day at a time. Easy does it--Take it easy. First things first.

I used to have the slogans posted where I could see them, because they really help me to remember. Let go and let God.

bluerose said...

I'm asking God for help every day now.

I'm beginning to think PTSS and nervous breakdown are the same thing.

LOL! If you find a way to pitch them, LET ME KNOW! ;]

I'm liking "one day at a time" right now. It really fits.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Well, God be with you. You know what they say, "A journey of a 1,000 miles begins with the first step."

As long as we are asking for help and working at serenity, we're doing the right things--I think.

Keep up the good work!