Wednesday, November 5, 2008

a twelve-step item: lies

I told BB a little story the other day that I was immediately wishing I had not told him. It was the story of how I lied to a person who was very forgetful, telling her she had told me to do what I was doing. I did it in self-preservation, but that didn't make it right. Now I worry BB, who is also forgetful, will think I do that to him. I do not, though I have to admit, I have considered it.

It was wrong to lie. I know why I did it, I did what I thought I "had" to do. Sigh. But it was still wrong.

I do not want to write more about it for fear the person in question will recognize herself if she stumbles on this site. I probably should "make amends," but not necessarily by being honest about it. Yr not 'sposed to make amends if doing so would cause harm, and I think that would. I need to do something nice for the person in question, or for someone like her.

I am doing step 5 by admitting this to you and God. Step nine I have to do, too. This is also step ten, since I've already done more than one inventory--it's a continuing to take personal inventory and when you were wrong, promptly admitted it step. I was wrong. WAHN!

I hate being wrong, but I was.

2 comments:

bluerose said...

Oh wow! That is a really cool pic!

Even though we've never met, I can tell that you're basically a very honest person. I'm sure that is one of the things BB really loves about you. I used to admit my wrongs to my husband all the time. He knew I wouldn't do those things to him, because I always told him everything. If I did, he'd know, because I'd tell him about it. He probably knows you better than the friend you wronged, and is impressed by the guilt you feel because of your wrong.

Thanks for sharing this, because it helps me to see how step nine works.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I hope you're right. Trust is very important!!! I don't want to betray his. WAHN!

Have a good day!