Monday, May 19, 2008

The Serenity Prayer

God, Grant me the Serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Boy, there is a lot of serenity and wisdom in that Serenity Prayer! I want to change everything to suit myself. I want to play God. But it only makes me bossy, frustrated and agitated! LOL! And I am not all knowing, all wise or all good, so I'm not sure I'd make a good God(dess.)

Things I cannot (or in some cases, should not) change:
  • the world
  • other people
  • some aspects of myself (like my age, hereditary diseases or the shape of my feet.)
Things I can (and in some cases, should) change:
  • some small portions of the world, through hard work
  • my relationships with other people, in some cases, by changing MYSELF and my behavior
  • some aspects of myself. Through much hard work and effort, LOL!
Acceptance is hard. The work of change is hard. But serenity is wonderful!

No comments: