Monday, April 14, 2008

PP/"Discussion/Meeting Topic:" One is too many and a hundred is not enough

I've read that people who are in the booze or food or betting or drugs are best off if they do not make that first bet or take that first drink. I know that's true of me and my eating.

Eating is not like drinking or gambling, in this respect: you have to eat to live. BUT, you do not have to eat those things that are triggers for binge eating, usually sugar and refined grains. I know in my case if I eat anything with sugar in it, or white flour, or snack foods like corn chips, I cannot eat just one. If I eat one, then I will eat more and more. There is no stopping place. It's not like eating broccoli, where, if I've had enough, I just stop. There's never enough. I might eat until I pop. Usually I finally drag myself away from the food when I feel ill.

I have to say that I am better at this now than I used to be. I am pretty good at staying out of the things that trigger me worst: sugar and white flour. But parties are very dangerous places for me. I do not know what's in the food, and I am tempted to eat things I shouldn't. And it only takes one bite to set me off. When I go to a party or family gathering, I am usually good and sick for 3-4 days or more afterwards. I am healthiest when I just stay home.

8 comments:

bluerose said...

People aren't very understanding about things like that. Especially at parties. They are all eating bad, and feeling guilty about it, so they want you to, too. Like how drunks don't like to drink alone.

I belong to a raw food group, where everybody understands things like this. Even though it's all natural food, some people may make an all natural chocolate dish, or something with soy, or peanuts. Since most of the people there are doing all raw to fight an illness, everybody is respectfull and mindful of food intollerences. Plus it's a great way to get recipes. We meet tomorrow, so hopefully it will help me to get back on track.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

WOW! SOunds like a great group. Here, every party involves bad food and people trying to force you to eat it. Every family gathering, ever social event. It's very difficult for someone with severe and moderate allergies to exist. To say nothing of food addictions. WOud you force candy on a diabetic? Hopefully not, but the results are just as deadly for other food-realted diseases!

bluerose said...

We went online and did a search for raw food groups in our area, and found one that meets once a month. My friend decided she wanted to meet twice a month, so we started one of our own.

I bet you could find one online that's in your area. It's a great way to meet people who eat healthy, or just want to. I found that the group was 50/50 of people who are just interested in eating healthy, and the ones who make it a life style. The ones who make it a life style are usually quite happy to help beginners. Maybe similar to an AA meeting, I don't know.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

We used to have them in NY where I used to live. But it's different when you hav e a husband who works 58 hours a week and comes home hungry after a ten-hour day. I want to be there for him.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Since I am alone a good part of the day and I make most of the meals at home, I could eat as healthily as I choose to. The problem is the choices I make, which are USUALLY pretty good EXCEPT when I have insomnia and other bad influences. The worst problem is other people--when I go visiting or go out. AND I do know quite a bot about what healthy food is, as I have had food issues all my life and have been studying and learning about it. Knowing something and doing it need to come into synchronization for me.

bluerose said...

oops, sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought you new to eating healthy. You're very smart. I don't doubt that you've done the research. I was thinking it would be great if you could socialize and go to parties with other people who ate healthy. You know, lift your spirits without the guilt. Everybody has to have fun. I would think that having to go to parties with unhealthy food, and people who don't understand, would be like forcing an alcoholic to hang out at bars. Doesn't sound like much fun.

It would be great if you could find one during the day, that held luncheons, like mine. Is your sweetie interested in eating healthy? I don't blame you for wanting to be with him. That has to come first.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Lunch would be good! :-D

Good point. AS long as BB doesn't retire--or maybe even if he does--a break then might be a good thing.

He's willing to eat healthy but it's not a priority for him and he often forgets.

But he also often RMEMEMBERS and helps.

At least I ate breakfast today! YAY!

Now it is time for lucn and I wouldn't mind some good healthy food and COMPANY and companionship. :-D

It is NOT much fun to be at a party full of food I can't at. Not fun at all!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

And I do need to have fun! And socialize!